Ryan Kingslien Finally had a chance to chat with 12-year veteran of the Industry Brandon Martynowicz, Environment Artist at RIOT GAMES
This is what he learnt:
“Good (secret sauce) can make a shitty model look pretty good. Vice versa, shitty (secret sauce) can make great stuff look bad,” he said.
(Funny how he remarks “there’s no secret sauce” while talking about it!)
And I made sure we go a bit more in detail about how to brew this secret sauce for various recipes that we need to cook into our Games every day as Artists.
Listen to him and you’ll love how he brings in all the physical senses and artistic media to describe his thought processes.
Such a treat…!
But that’s not all.
Here’s some more of what we discussed:
- Know Thyself
- The importance of playing to your strengths.
(I’m such a big fan of this idea, and have been emphasizing it in nearly all of my classes and talks.)
- How to use environments as storytelling devices.
- The other half of hire-ability after your portfolio.
- How to keep your ego in check (even if you think you don’t have an ego).
- What will we be doing when we’re 50?!
(Gotta think about the future! Thank you, Brandon, for painting such an optimistic picture of our old age pastimes!)
And much much more.